Circular Process for Eco-Designed Bulky Products and Internal Car Parts
The overarching objective of the ECOFUNCO project is to select, extract and functionalise molecules such as proteins, cutin, polysaccharides, polyphenols, carotenoids, fatty acids from readily available, low valorised biomass sources. This will be used to develop new bio-based coatings for application on two different substrates, specifically cellulosic and plastic based. This will deliver materials for food and personal hygiene use that will offer better performance than currently-available products as well as delivering sustainable end of life options. Within this, there are a number of specific objectives. The ECOFUNCO concept will:
- Deliver a significant step in making the efficient use of bio-based material resources and their economically viable production a reality.
- Upgrade agro-food waste into viable alternative materials to those derived from fossil-fuel polymers.
- Develop energy efficient processes for developing these bio-based coatings based on ecological approaches and green chemistry
- Promote competitiveness while decoupling economic growth from environmental impacts.
- Support development of eco-technologies and promote foreign investment in environmental technologies, with consequent benefits for jobs and economic growth across the EU.
- Reduce the environmental impact of packaging and packaging waste.
Official Website: https://www.ecofunco.eu/
CALL / TOPIC: H2020-BBI-JTI-2018 / BBI.2018.SO3.R9 – Develop functional molecules for bio-based coatings outperforming existing products and meeting market requirements
Grant agreement ID: 837863
Start – end date: 1 May 2019 – 31 July 2022
Budget and funding: € 5 567 436,25 / € 4 613 778,25
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 814548